Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Shaman's Thoughts: 'Metropolis' series


Greetings Ladies and Gents! It is I, The Shaman of Animation back again! Imagine my surprise after coming home from work and checking my Twitter feed to see that not only is there a trailer for Ant-Man and The Wasp (which looks to be another fun movie from Marvel) but the announcement of a Superman Prequel series Metropolis...what?

To inform those who may not know, Metropolis is going to be a Drama series about Lois Lane and Lex Luthor before the days of Superman on DC's digital service. My immediate thought reading the news is: what exactly is going on in the minds of people at Warner Bros/DC? Between this and Krypton they seem to be obsessed with making Superman shows with the very minor detail of NOT HAVING SUPERMAN IN THEM. I look forward to WB announcing the Legion of Super-Pets live action series in 2019 (BTW, Legion of Super-Pets? Actual thing that happened in the comics. Gotta love 60's). 

To play Devil's Advocate here, with the very little information about the show we've been given so far, there's a chance, however slim, that this drama series could be...decent? Everyone's making the joke about Lois Lane having a show centered around her, but I think those people are overlooking Lois Lane here. She's a journalist who charges right in the line of fire for the truth and for a good story. She's a military kid; and with Lex Luthor in the series, you have the perfect antagonist for her. Almost every Superman interpretation I've seen has had the Daily Planet be Anti-Lex and them trying to expose him as the power hungry maniac he is; and there have been a few where Lex and Lois have been romantically involved or at the very least had Lex show interest in Lois.

If you left me in charge of this, my pitch would be Lex is recruited by General Sam Lane for a top secret government project and Lois has to use every bit of her journalistic ability to figure what him and her father are up to in this plan. However, if I had my way, that pitch would only be a five episode miniseries...

  

I can't blame people for trashing the very idea of this Metropolis series, because it does seem as though WB and DC are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. But as of right now, I'm in a wait and see mindset in regards to this. I honestly believe there's potential in this idea, much more than there is in a show about Superman's grandpappy. Then again, there was potential in Gotham when it was first announced, and the fact that show's made it to four seasons can only be because Fox is the devil. So with that said, save this post for next year when the show bombs and you all can rub it in my face about how wrong I was.

But until that time arises folks, I'm signing off. I'm The Shaman of Animation saying: Just Give Supes a new show Warner Bros.

People loved Tyler Hoechlin in Supergirl and it's not like you care about him in the movies...

Take Care...



No comments:

Post a Comment