Sunday, December 9, 2018

CW Elseworlds (Part One) Review


Greetings Ladies and Gents! It is I, The Shaman of Animation back once again! I didn't go into this expecting to write a review but I was so entertained with what I saw, I needed to further elaborate just how great it was. That is the first night of CW's Elseworlds.
Elsewords is this year's big crossover event for the CW's 'Arrowverse', a verse consisting of The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl (And Legends of Tomorrow but they don't get to be in the Crossover this year). Barry Allen and Oliver Queen have woken up as each other, they haven't body swapped but they do have each other's abilities and identities; and no one on their Earth has realized this change; and as they head over to SuperGirl's Earth for help, Central City is attacked by Amazo.


I'll try to keep spoilers to a bare minimum because there are people that may want to go into watching this as blind as possible. But if you know your DC Lore, both comic and T.V, the first night of this event alone is filled to the brim with fanservice. Some subtle, some not so much. Like you may hear a song from a show that ran from a decade and if you're like me you may bellow it at the top of your lungs and potentially disturb your neighbors.

With Barry and Oliver switching identities you get the scenes where they're freaking out over being each other and while it could've been lame or corny, the actors (especially Grant Gustin) have an air to them that they pull it off without a hitch; and the swap does provide opportunities for a great callback and to explore their motivations as characters.

Nothing but respect for MY Superman and Lois.

But the real stars of this crossover lie in Tyler Hoechlin returning as Superman and Elizabeth Tulloch's debut in the CW Universe as Lois Lane. Tulloch has the wit and the fire that I want from an actress playing Lois Lane and her back and forth with Clark is everything I want from those two in a relationship. The entire time not only her but Hoechlin (who I finally get my wish of seeing him interact with Barry and Oliver) were on screen I had the biggest smile on my face. 

And the smile didn't leave when it came to the big action scene in the show's climax. Again, won't spoil it, but the fact that this universe, for all its flaws, has been built up over the last 6 years to the point that you can have this fight happen, on TV no less, is nothing short of phenomenal. 

Overall though, I thought Part One of Elseworlds was a fantastic kick-off to this crossover! And with the debut of Batwoman on the horizon, I only hope that it can continue this momentum.

Til next time folks, I'm The Shaman of Animation, and I'm still waiting on that Hoechlin Superman series.

Take Care...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment