Monday, March 2, 2015

DragonBall Z: Resurrection 'F' Trailer 3 Breakdown/Thoughts

Still a little cautious about this movie, but this trailer definitely piqued my interest.

Greetings Ladies and Gents, it is I, the Shaman of Animation back again. The newest trailer for Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F' dropped. It's been a couple of months since the first trailer dropped and I did my thoughts on it, and we've gotten some more info since then. I'm here to do a brief breakdown and give my thoughts on the latest trailer.

The trailer kicks off with a mini flashback of the iconic scene of Future Trunks slicing Frieza up and completely obliterating him. It then cuts to Frieza in his ship flying over a city (My guess, probably West City) and he has his army with him and they're ready to raise hell and the Z-Fighters are prepared to fight.


Now as you see the line up of the Z-fighters, you'll also see a small purple man next to Gohan. That person is Jaco The Galactic Patrolman. He was the title character of an eleven chapter manga of the same name that's tied in to the DragonBall franchise. In that series, Jaco was sent to Earth to stop a saiyan (I think it's pretty obvious who it is). This character actually has some ties to Bulma's family, so it'll be interesting to see what the movie does with him.

What follows next is awesomeness as we see the Z-Fighters: Piccolo, Master Roshi, Krillin, Tien, and Gohan duking it out with multiple members of Frieza's army and a small snipet of Frieza vs Goku...and this is all happening as Maximum the Hormone's Insert Song for Frieza 'F' is playing in the background. If you've never heard this song before, find it on YouTube and listen to it, it's the most metal song ever...and the fact that it's going to be in this movie at some point gets me very excited. Near the halfway point in the trailer, we get to see Frieza's brand new form:

It's like his old form...except with more purple and gold...

Now the form is...a little strange at first glance, but it is something I can picture Toriyama doing for a more god-like form for Frieza. Dragonball Z has a running theme of powerful characters with nonthreatening looks (I.E, Majin Buu's original and kid form, Frieza's Final form, and most recently, Beerus and Super Saiyan God Goku). It will take some time to get used to seeing, but personally, I think it'll be quicker to get used to than SSG Goku. The prequel manga, Rebirth of Frieza has revealed that when Frieza first fought Goku, he hadn't trained at all, he was naturally as powerful as he was. Now that he's been brought back with the Dragon Balls (Which I'm still calling BS on), he decides now to train and unlock his latent potential. That's...a bit of a stretch, but considering I've read a lot of fan manga that pull Vegeta going Super Saiyan 3 JUST through training, I'm willing to buy it.

We get some more of Goku vs Frieza and there are some notable scenes of CG which look a bit jarring...I have yet to see CGI and 2D animation mesh well together in a series/movie and from the looks of things, this won't be the exception. The scenes that follow are pretty bleak, the Z-Fighters are getting taken out (once again Gohan is a jobber) and Frieza is actually kicking the crap out of Goku.

But of course, I'm sure everyone wants to see me address the big scenes featuring Vegeta such as:
Possibly God Form for Vegeta?

As I'm sure everyone knows, Toriyama has gone on record in interviews saying that he would like Vegeta to be the big hero in the next movie (I'm pretty meh on that issue considering in recent years I'm finding Vegeta to be more and more overrated, but I do see why fans are getting stoked). The last time I talked about this movie, I was unsure of how Frieza being brought back would be any sort of challenge to the Z-Fighters, but if this movie is more focused on Vegeta, I can see it as more of a personal story for him considering the long history he and Frieza have and it could provide for some nice character development for Vegeta. A nice little touch I enjoyed in the trailer was Vegeta standing over a beaten Goku. It definitely hearkened back to The Namek Saga where the roles were reversed and Vegeta begged Goku to avenge the Saiyan race.


The last thing to note here is Beerus and Whis, the two villains from Battle of Gods seemingly watching something. My guess is that it plays into the final shot of the trailer where a planet (probably Earth) is getting blown up and the two are theorizing that if Frieza isn't stopped, the planet will be destroyed, hence why there's a planet blowing up.  Battle of Gods took some time to establish the fact that Beerus and Frieza know each other. So I am interested in seeing what role they play in this movie. The popular fan theory is that Beerus and Whiss are training Goku and Vegeta, which is why they're in new gear and are seen with Whiss in the first trailer.

Overall, This new trailer for Resurrection 'F' is a step in the right direction as what it showed did get me a little more excited for the movie. Hopefully the movie can deliver. Til next time folks, I'm the Shaman of Animation. Take care...







No comments:

Post a Comment