Tuesday, June 9, 2015

PowerPuff Girls 2016 series Announcement thoughts

That's right folks, a grown man is on his computer talking about the PowerPuff Girls. How low will this blog stoop is anyone's guess...


Greetings Ladies and Gents! It is I, The Shaman of Animation back again. I'm sure a lot of the readers here remember the Powerpuff Girls. The series premiered in 1998 during what many consider was Cartoon Network's Golden Era. The series had a simple enough premise: It was about three little girls who had superpowers and together fought crime and the forces of evil to save their city of Townsville and do it all before bed. The series was very well received by critics and ended up being an Emmy-Winning series.


I myself obviously watched the show as a kid and had plenty of good times with it. From Bubbles ripping one monster's horn off and ramming it into the throat of another (Seriously, how the hell did Craig McCracken get away with that on a kid's show) to the first use of Dynamo, to...Powerpuff Bunny...I'm sorry I need a moment...

Bunny do good...Bunny do good...

What I'm trying to get at here is that the series was a very huge staple of Cartoon Network, I myself consider it along with Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd N Eddy, and the entirety of Toonami to be the Mount Rushmore of Cartoon Network. So you have to imagine my, along with people who grew up watching the show's reaction when Cartoon Network announced a couple of months back that The Powerpuff Girls would be getting a reboot slated for next year.

When I first heard news of this, I was initially a little concerned seeing as original series creator Craig McCracken wouldn't be involved in this project, and I initially thought that the series would be made in the CGI style that the special from last year "Dance Pantsed" was made in. 

It was Okay for a one time celebratory thing, but I couldn't dig an entire PPG series made in this style...

But last night, new info was released in regards of this new series. For starters, the picture seen at the very top of this post, which has me relieved in regards of how the show will visually look. This new show will stay true to the original art style of the series and the girls, aside from some very minor details, all look as we all remember them, which is a good thing seeing as you don't want to alienate the long time fans of the show. Not unlike the next piece of news. That being that there would be new voice actresses playing the roles of Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup. Those roles now belong to Amanda Leighton (Of Fosters Fame) as Blossom, Kristen Lee (From Monsters University) as Bubbles, and Natalie Palamides (From Movies I'm too lazy to type) as Buttercup. 

This is a decision that I do not approve of and I'm wondering WHY cartoon Network went with this decision. Did they just not want to pay Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong, and E.G. Daily to come back and voice the girls again? If so, that's a real shame; and if social media is any indication, they all would've loved to come back, but they weren't even asked if they wanted to. And if the reasoning is that they want to start completely from scratch with this relaunch of the series and capture a new audience with this new cast, then that's also very lame and stupid reasoning. Those three voice actresses were the heart of the series and them not even being asked to come back is like a slap in the face to not only them, but to fans of the show. Despite what many feel about Teen Titans Go, the team behind the show at least brought back the cast from the original series to do the voices. And obviously Teen Titans Go is NOT made for people who love the old Teen Titans show. So why can't this new PPG show do the same? This is the kind of decision that turns old fans away and make them say:

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Iron Sheik

The last things of note here are the facts that the series will have both Nick Jennings (He's done work on Adventure Time) and Bob Boyle (creator of Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!) on as executive producer and co executive producer and that the series will have writers who have seen and are fans of the original show.

Overall, despite how I feel about the original creator's absence and the new cast, I have a good feeling about this Powerpuff Girls Reboot. I think by bringing in fans of the show to write, you bring in people that have some kind of understanding of what made the original show so great and they'll try to go above and beyond to try to make material worthy of The Powerpuff Girls. Then again M. Night Shyamalan claimed he was a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender and we all know how his movie based on the show went.


Only time will tell whether or not The Powerpuff Girls reboot will be good. But I think for old fans, we already have to get it in our minds that it probably won't be as good as the original show, I think if we do that, we'll be in for a good reboot.

Til next time folks, you can like my new Facebook page: Shaman of Animation, Follow me on Twitter and all that other stuff that will be linked up in the new Subscription Box I have. Do it to feed my ego--I mean...support me. Yes. That is what I meant...

I am the Shaman of Animation. Take Care...



No comments:

Post a Comment